Friday, February 1, 2008

Smart

Woman Calls 911 to Report Drunken Driver -- Herself

A 51-year-old Dodge County woman is charged with her first offense of operating while intoxicated after she called 911 to report a drunken driver -- herself.

According to Dodge County Sheriff Todd Nehls, the woman called 911 early Sunday morning then hung up. Dodge County dispatchers did a reverse call to the phone number, and Patricia Dykstra answered her cell phone.

She talked with dispatchers, explaining that she was driving because her boyfriend was too drunk to drive -- and that he made her call 911 because he thought "she was too drunk to drive," too. Dykstra explained she hung up because she doesn't like talking on her cell phone while driving.

During a call that lasted about four minutes, Dykstra told law enforcement everything they needed to know to find her.

Dispatcher: Have you had too much to drink tonight that you shouldn't be driving?
Caller: I don't think so, ma'am.
Dispatcher: OK, and you're almost home you said?
Caller: Yes I am.
Dispatcher: And where do you live at?
Caller: Fox Lake.
Dispatcher: OK. Where are you now?
Caller: Highway C, just about the corner of C and P.
Dispatcher: Ok. What kind of vehicle are you in?
Caller: Ah, pickup truck, 2002.
Dispatcher: What color is it?
Caller: Tan.

When deputies went to her house, Dykstra met them on the porch.

"I figured they would stop me on the road as long as I was halfway home when I called them. That didn't happen, so OK, I'm home, nothing happened out of it, but I was wrong," Dykstra told us.

Showing her citation to Action 2 News on Monday, Dykstra said she has no regrets about calling police on herself.

"I don't know. I'm so surprised. I did it myself, really. it's just one of those things. I didn't think I was driving so good so I said, let's tell them I'm not driving so good."

Dykstra was given a breath test and blew a 0.14. The limit considered too drunk to drive is 0.08.

Dodge County's sheriff says it's the first time a drunken driver actually called in a complaint about their self.

"I'm sure when her friends find out what transpired, I'm sure she will be the brunt of many jokes, but I give the woman a lot of credit," Sheriff Nehls said. "Intoxicated or not, she called in, thought she had too much to drink, we made the arrest. If more people did that, our highways would be a little safer."

Dykstra says she is terribly sorry for driving drunk and she's ready to face whatever penalties might come her way.

"Pay my fine, I guess. That's all I can do."

No comments: